Qualcomm® Align™ :: AR9485
The AR9485 single-chip PCI Express® solution features Atheros Align® 1-stream 802.11n. Align solutions are available in reference designs to serve the networking, computing and consumer electronics markets.
Align employs all the mandatory and select optional features of the 11n specification, and Atheros’ advanced radio design techniques. The AR9485 leverages unprecedented silicon integration and an advanced 55nm design to offer the industry’s lowest power consumption and manufacturing costs – making it the “greenest” WLAN solution on the market. The new AR9485 extends Atheros’ family of Align 1-stream 802.11n solutions, which are featured in 9 of the top 10 PC brands.
Building upon Atheros’ historic leadership in the computing market, Atheros has re-designed the WLAN architecture to deliver even greater benefits for PC manufacturers and consumers alike. By cutting the power consumption in half, the AR9485 is enabling best-in-class wireless features with a greatly-reduced impact on the battery life of mobile PCs.
The highly-integrated AR9485 targets the value computing market. The AR9485 provides a complete WLAN solution–media access controller (MAC), baseband, and a high–performance 2.4 GHz radio in a low–cost digital CMOS design.
The AR9485 is backward compatible to 802.11b/g and forward compatible to multi-stream 11n. Targeting the growing value computing products market segment with 150 Mbps PHY rates, Align is the ideal technology for computing users seeking robust throughput, enhanced range and extended battery life for data networking applications as well as P2P applications.
The AR9485 offers the industry’s lowest power consumption – 30 to 50 percent lower than comparable solutions. Such significant power savings are the result of Atheros’ enhanced PHY architecture, 55nm design and efficient power amplifiers. The new products also use a unique Green Transmission mode, which dynamically adjusts the system’s Wi-Fi transmit power depend- ing on the distance between the router and the client device.
The unmatched silicon integration eliminates the need for external power amplifiers, low-noise amplifiers (LNAs), a transmit/receive switch and several other components to reduce bill of material (BOM) costs by up to 30 percent, compared to previous solutions.
Wi-Fi Direct Support
AR9485 also includes Atheros Direct ConnectTM peer-to-peer technology, which enables PCs to easily connect with Wi-Fi enabled printers, cameras, and other peripherals – without an access point or broadband connection. Direct Connect brings unprecedented convenience and simplicity to Wi-Fi devices and lets people do more with their wireless products.
- Highly integrated single chip PCI Express solution MAC/baseband processor and 2.4 GHz radio
- Supports up to 150 Mbps Data Rate
- Backward-compatible to 802.11g; forward–compatible to multi-stream 802.11n
- Supports all mandatory IEEE 802.11n features, including several optional features such as HT40, half-guard interval in HT40 and Rx Space Time Block Coding (STBC)
- Compliant with IEEE 802.11b, 802.11d, 802.11e, 802.11g standards and 802.11i specification
- Highly compact, small footprint package
- Optimal BOM cost with integrated power amplifier, low noise amplifier, Tx/Rx switch, memory, regulator, etc.
- PCI Express Based Specification 1.1 compliant
- Supports Wake on Wireless LAN (WoW)
- Low power sleep modes supported
- Wi-Fi Alliance CERTIFIED